Even if you are not new to the world of social media, there are bound to be terms that are hard to make sense of. Now consider how hard things can be for someone who is new to social media? Well, in the interest of educational awareness we’ve made a list of all the latest term and acronyms making their way around cyberspace.
So, let us start with some of the most common acronyms which are related to mainly social media networks.
- FB: Facebook
- LI: LinkedIn
- TW: Twitter
- YT: YouTube
- IG: Instagram
Acronyms Regarding Social Networking Features
Now there are a couple of acronyms that refer to various commonly used features by social network users. Most people will use these acronyms on Twitter where using abbreviations are quite common. So, knowing them will improve communication.
- DM: It is an acronym for direct message. It refers to sending a message privately to another user on the platform.
- MT: An acronym for modified tweet. Generally refers to altering the text of a tweet before resharing. Usually, it is to shorten the text or to fix other types of errors.
- PM: Private Message. It is a lot like a DM (mentioned above) and refers to on-on-one messaging which isn’t publicly visible. PM and DM are often used interchangeably.
- RT: It means sharing someone’s Tweet on your own feed. RT refers to ReTweet, and generally, people will retweet, stuff by celebrities, influencers and other people whom they follow and agree with.
Technical Terms That Marketers Should Know
You might not encounter technical abbreviations every day, but if you work for a tech company, it means it is essential to be updated with them. If anything knowing these terms will help you engage with your audience more effectively.
- API: An abbreviation for Application Programming Interface. It is a set of rules which determine how different pieces of software types interact with one another.
- CX: Short for Customer Experience.
- ESP: An email service provider. Also, the software used to send emails.
- PV: Page Views
- GA: Google Analytics
- RSS: Really simple syndication or a site summary. It is a feed that publishes mostly content from a source like a blog.
- SEM: Search Engine Marketing. Usually, the practice of improving visibility on various search engines via paid ads.
- SaaS: It is short for software as a service. Generally, a software program that uses a pay-to-use model of monetization.
- SOV: Share of Voice. Usually the amount of exposure your company has compared to the competition.
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization. Generally, it involves optimizing a website so that it ranks high and gets more visitors and sales as a result.
- UX: User experience. Usually, this refers to the best practices in regards to how easy it is for people to interact with a virtual platform like a website or piece of software.
- UV: Short for Unique Views. It refers to the number of times a page has been viewed. It applies to both images and videos.